Do you have a sore throat from acid reflux? Feeling sick and tired from the burning sensation in your throat? If you have that kind of condition (or maybe even worse?), Then you’ll want to read this article. Specifically, we will go over the cause of the sore throat itself and some helpful tips to alleviate the acid reflux that causes the sore throat in the first place. After reading this article, you will know why you constantly have a sore throat when your reflux intensifies, and you will know exactly what to do to overcome it.
Acid reflux sore throat is caused by the constant flow of stomach acid into the esophagus. Normally, stomach acid would not flow down the throat. But due to the weak muscular condition of the lower esophageal sphincter, it will allow partially digested food containing traces of stomach acid to flow into the mouth through the digestive tract and cause a sore throat. But fear not. This simple condition can be treated with these simple steps.
- Gargle with warm water mixed with a sufficient amount of table salt.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Proper sleeping posture, head elevated (to prevent acid from flowing into the mouth) and try to keep your mouth closed to avoid a dry throat.
- It induces more saliva, as it contains natural bicarbonate that helps neutralize acid. Try to eat sweets.
- Resting for a few extra hours of sleep will also aid in faster healing.
- Try using vaporizers or humidifiers to ease a sore throat. Don’t be tempted to eat ice cream and cold drinks for a sore throat.
- For a long-term solution, you should try a proper acid reflux diet that does not make the condition worse.
Overcoming acid reflux sore throat is not very difficult once you apply these 7 simple tips. Now use these tips and you can be calm without having to feel the burning sensation in your throat again!